Sandra Duguid, our Dunbar based property manager, offers advice for sellers looking to increase their chance of selling their home in the forthcoming months.
• Consider an autumnal scene – warm tones and colours can help your home reflect the season. Ensure your home is warm, cosy and colourful. If you want to do this on budget, why not invest in a new rug or fluffy cushions in autumnal colours. If you have a wood burner or multi-fuel stove, ensure this is given prominence in the photos, and for viewings.
• Concentrate on lighting - ideally viewings should be conducted during the day, to maximise natural light and it is important to ensure blinds and curtains are fully opened to allow as much daylight in as possible. However, due to shorter days, this is not always possible, so extra care is needed when it comes to the lighting in your home. Lamps will play an important role. Certain rooms will benefit from dimmed lighting to create a cosy ambience such as bedrooms and living rooms whereas brighter lighting will be required for kitchen and bathrooms. Storm pendant lights over an island or dining table can transform a room.
• Viewing times - if possible, encourage morning or early afternoon viewings, and make sure your home is warm in order to create a cosy environment.
• Garden – invest in some planters and fill these with colourful cyclamen, heather or pansies. Sweep up leaves and ensure borders are free from weeds. Consider installing solar garden lanterns and fairy lights.
• Gutters - Have these attended by a reputable roofing company to ensure they are free from blockages.